Week 4: dill, lettuce, salad mix, zucchini, green onions, patty pan squash, peas, buckwheat sprouts and braising mix (red kale, tat soi, mustard greens, mizzuna and arugula).
What to do with the peas? Pea soup sounds nice eh?
Also a Japanese-inspired pea salad. Really from the peas I got in week 3.
From week 3 (which I forgot to photograph): Sauteed kale and turnips with lemon and dill.
Kale and turnips
Kale, washed and torn
Turnips, sliced thin
Lemons, zested and juiced
Lemons, zested and juiced
--Just sautee everything with a little oil (I used avocado oil) and add in the green onions, lemon juice and zest, and dill. EAT!
2 cups loosely packed fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced.
1 bag snow peas (2 cups?)
2 T wakame, soaked
"dressing": red pepper flake, soy sauce, sesame oil, and a little mirin.
1. Slice on the bias the peas and onions.
2. Sautee shiitakes until crisp.
3. Remove shitakes and add peas and green onions. Sautee briefly, just to get the color to pop... you still want a crunch.
4. Remove peas and onions. Sautee sesame seeds until juuuust golden. Add pepper flakes, sesame oils, soy sauce and mirin.
5. Put everything in a big bowl and mix. Chill. I served this as a cold salad.
WEEK 4 Recipes
2 cups Chicken stock (from the freeeezer)
2 bags peas (maybe 4 cups?), cleaned... pods and all! I saved some peas for garnish.
a 1in x 1in chunk of onion
a few mint leaves
1. Boil peas (in the pod) until cooked. Let cool.
2. Add cooked pods, onion and stock to blender and blend until smooth. Add mint and give one more blend.
3. Strain the mix through a wire sieve (I used my chinois).
4. Chill in fridge. I served it cold as a summer soup with a little cream and peas. It was a nice little lunch while the weather was 90F here!
Summer chicken salad! Click it!
Quick veggie enchiladas (a far cry from these)
3 zucchini, diced
1 patty pan, diced
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 chopped tomato
1 chopped onion
couple cloves of garlic, chopped
salt free taco seasoning (Health food store bulk section)
garnish: pico de gallo, green onion and avocado.
1. Sautee onion and garlic until translucent.
2. Add squashes, cook until soft.
3. Add tomato paste and seasoning.
4. Wrap filling in soft taco shells (I found some awesome low carb ones in keeping with the PB) and place in a 9x13 pan.
5. Sprinkle with cheese! Bake at 350 until cheese melts.
6. Serve with avocado, pico and chopped green onion.
Pesto turkey and braising mix: I just used a some pesto ground turkey and sauteed the braising mix with it. Simple but tasty!