Pesce Spada alla Norma
1 4 or 5oz swordfish steak, cooked however you want (I broiled mine with some lemon).
1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes, salted, drained and pat dry.
1 small red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
4 celery tops, minced
1 cup basil leaves, cut in chiffonade
2 T tomato paste
Sprinkle of oregano
1. Het some lard in a nonstick pan over medhigh heat. Fry eggplant in lard until soft and golden. Make sure the lard is good and hot so the eggplant wont just sop it all up. Having the eggplant WELL drained and pat VERY dry also helps. I used about 2 T lard and had some left when the eggplant was done. Trust me, if you do it right, you wont have oil sponge eggplant yuck.
2. At the last few seconds, sprinkle oregano onto eggplant so it wakes up a little. Remove eggplant from pan.
3. Turn heat to med. Add onion to pan, cook for about 2 min. Add tomato, garlic and celery tops to pan. Let cook about 10 min until tomato is soft and breaking up.
4. Add tomato paste and a little water to dissolve. Heat for a couple mins.
5. Add basil leaves at the last minute and serve. I put in on top of swordfish steaks but you can do whatever sounds yummy! Sprinkle goat cheese on top (supposed to be ricotta salata but I really like goat cheese).